2019 has some big titles coming out for Disney, probably one of their biggest years ever. There are 2 Marvel movies, which are sure to make over $1B each, 3 live-action remakes of classics, and another Toy Story film!
March 8th – We have Captain Marvel, the first female-led action movie from Marvel (It’s about time!). It’s set in the 1990’s, so prepare for some serious nostalgia! I’ve also heard that in the comics, she is one of the only superheroes who is able to beat Thanos, so I’m sure she’s going to play a huge part in the next Avengers film.
- My prediction: $1.5B.
Next, we have Dumbo, a live-action remake of the classic, creepy cartoon. The original was seriously creepy, go watch it again! Anyway, it has a star-studded cast including Colin Farrell, Michael Keaton, Eva Green, Alan Arkin, Danny DeVito and it’s directed by Tim Burton himself!
- Depending on the critic reviews it receives before it comes out, I predict $1B, considering that the live-action remake of The Jungle Book earned almost $1B in 2016, I think this one will surpass it.
The 4th Avengers film, wow, this is going to be a big one. If you’ve seen Infinity Wars from 2018, you know there’s a lot at stake for this film. There’s a lot of pressure on the Russo brothers to make this one of the biggest movies of all time.
- I predict that it will make over $2.5B, surpassing Infinity Wars’ $2B, and possibly dethroning Titanic and Avatar’s long reigns at the top of the list of highest grossing films.
May 24th – Getting close to summer, we have the live-action remake of Aladdin. They’ve been keeping most of the movie under wraps so we don’t know a whole lot yet other than a few names, Mena Massoud as Aladdin, Will Smith, Naomi Scott, Marwan Kenzari, Navid Negahban, Nasim Pedrad Billy Magnussen and Numan Acar.
- I predict that it will be close to Dumbo, making around $1B.
And summer begins! On June 21st, the actual first day of summer, we have Toy Story 4, the long-awaited sequel that we didn’t know we wanted! The story continues where Toy Story 3 left off, with the gang being donated to “Bonnie”. A few new characters are introduced, voiced by Tony Hale, Key and Peele and Keanu Reeves.
- Toy Story 3 made over $1B, so I’m predicting $1.25B.
Last but not least, the live-action remake of The Lion King hits theaters July 19th. Along the same lines as Dumbo and Aladdin, Disney is remaking its whole animated catalog for a new generation. Another star-studded cast, featuring Donald Glover, Seth Rogen, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Billy Eichner, John Oliver, Keegan-Michael Key, Beyonce and James Earl Jones again!
- I predict that this one will be the biggest hit of all of the live-action remakes, hitting at least $1.5B.
Let me know what you think!